View Single Post
Old
12-18-2003, 11:09 AM
Riven

vCash: 500
I wouldn't put myself in an anti-Federov group. However, of all the players that the Canucks have promoted from the Moose this season and last, Federov looked to me like the one who least understood the concept.

If there has been one thing that has impressed me about our young talent on the farm, it is the way they arrive at the Canucks doorstep looking like they belong. Even Nathan Smith, whom most of us only grudgingly accept as a possible fourth line prospect, appeared clear on what he was supposed to be doing on the ice.

Yes, Federov did play his position reasonably well. He was actually backchecking (gasp!). He did make a nice pass to set up Sopel (I think) in the slot for a good shot on net. But, he looked tentative, as if he had to think hard about where he should be at any given moment. It is possible that in a faster paced game his weaknesses might have been exposed fairly quickly.

Then, of course, there was that dreadful collision with Linden. At least Bryan Allen was delivering some big hits against Dallas, so we can't say that Federov colliding with Trevor was the toughest body check thrown by a Canuck.