View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 01:20 AM
Nicky Santoro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Mario is probably the most widely recognized Pittsburgh athlete ever. His play is only a small part of it, IMO. His dedication to the city, making Pittsburgh his year round residence, and then saving the Penguins by sacrificing his own finances are why he holds that place for so many people.

It has been very much a give and take with Mario. He has done for the city what he has because we as the public have, for the most part, completely respected the fact that he is very private and wants to remain that way.
so he's not tops for his amazing hockey skills? he's more of an off ice hero. so if he didn't save Pens and invest in them, he would not be number 1?? ouch..

what i find amazing is i swear to you, i used to play ball hockey with mario when i was 14-15 yrs old, before he was anything.. he lives 5 min from me and me and my buddies. we are the exact same age. we used to bring our sticks (we were englsh) and play his team (they were french) and he was this tall lanky skinny kid who was so quiet and never said a word, but man was he good. we never thought in a million yrs he'd be Super Mario one day. what a nice kid he was. very shy and just kind. and who's to say what he ended up doing.. i never knew one day that kid would grow up one day to own the city of Pittsburgh and be the most popular guy there and turn out to be this legend. had i known, i would've bought him a chocolate bar and tried to have been his pal. i am proud of him and so proud i got to play ball hockey with him.

Nicky Santoro is offline   Reply With Quote