View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 12:45 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
Agreed. I didn't say the Soviets would have never won a tournament, but rather that suggesting they would win most of them is not realistic.
The Soviets and Canadians split the 1972 series almost evenly, with the Canadians completely caught off guard in the first three games. If that were an Olympic tournament, the Canadians would have been eliminated quickly.

The Canada Cups were played on North American ice, with North American referees which significantly benefitted the Canadians. Additionally the Canadians played the Soviets at the end of every tournament giving the Canadians a long round of games to really gel as team, which the Soviets never would have needed. Even with all the advantages for Canada the games were usually close, almost always decided by one goal.

I'm not discounting Canada's wins in those tournaments, however I feel that a shorter tournament benefits the Soviets. The Olympics being played on international ice, with international referees benefit the Soviets enough to the point that it's likely that the Soviets win just about as many Olympic tournaments as the Canadians do through the 1960s and 1970s.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote