Thread: Proposal: Omark/Filatov
View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 01:29 AM
Honour Over Glory

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I just want to point out, for those who think his Swiss-A stats will translate into anything at the NHL level (and I'm not pointing fingers here - I'm just preempting this argument before it is brought up)...

When was the last time, outside of Brunner this year, that a guy in the top-20 in Swiss-A scoring had any impact whatsoever at the NHL level(3rd line or higher) after leaving the Swiss league (in a non-lockout year, of course: Joe Thornton doesn't count, haha)?

Answer:
Oleg Petrov, 1999. 14 years ago.

Wes Walz also managed to revive his career in the Swiss leagues before his surprising return to the Minnesota wild as a depth 3rd liner.

Michael Nylander spent a year in the Swiss leagues in 1996, but that was over a contract dispute, not because he couldn't find a roster spot on the flames (he'd put up 55 points the previous year)

I went back all the way to 1987. That's it: Brenner, Petrov, Wes Walz as a reclamation project, and Nylander for one season in a contract dispute.

I'm not saying Omark can't come back and play in the NHL. Far from it. I want to make that clear.
What I AM saying, however, is not to trust Swiss League stats as holding any weight as proof of anything.
Glen Metropolit has 62pts in that league...nuff said.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote