View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 09:15 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
What everyone has to realize is that eventually a pro defines his own game. DD needs to score more goals, and I think he knows that.
Further to that, what was most beautiful about watching Habs in the 70's is that every single guy on the team had defined his own game, and knew his strengths perfectly. I've never seen a better collection of pro hockey players since. It was the most intelligent team in history, I think. From Dryden out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Are you sure? I was talking my Dad about it (I started watching in 92-93) and he said in the 80's he was a used in PP situations and played with some of the best players on the Habs.

Scoring statistics seem to agree with that (only one season I believe he was outside of the Top-4 after his rookie season), but I'm not going to pretend to know since I didn't watch back then.
Carbs was not used as a top six in Montreal. His genius was on D, and scoring timely goals.

Quote:
Lol .. Considering Gallagher had one point and was a -1 in his last 6 games, maybe you should re-think. Desharnais set both guys up multiple times, take off your sunglasses and watch the game.
Galla is a rookie who has played 13 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
DD is playing well....so is the Habs.

But putting Cole with Galchenyuk is practically an insult to one our best players so far. He is responsable for our last win. And for his work, let's take out some of his ice-time, let's give him one of our worst player ????

Is that normal to you?

Even worst....forget about DD.

Gallagher was our best player last night. Still....Cole got more than 4 minutes in PP time and Gally only got 1m30

Is that normal to you?

We, as fan, are happy......but some players might not be as happy with this situation.
Cause they worked well so far and things has been taken from them and given to some players wwho didn't diserve it as much as they do!!
Everybody Chill the **** out on DD. He's a great kid, and he'll be given chances. Time will tell. And he's the first to know it. He's not stupid. He knows he has to put up points, and he knows he has to score goals. Imagine the pressure. Stop trying to make him the next Pocket Rocket. It just kills good french kids here. Let him do his best, and we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I watched him for his entire career and he spent almost his entire tenure here with Nilan, Gainey, McPhee, Keane, Brunet, Gilchrist and Corson for brief periods. He is probably best remembered as being the center between Nilan and Gainey and then later on having Mike Keane as a staple on his wing. There were periods when Bobby Smith got hurt and he saw some time with Richer and Corson but he was always a 2nd/3rd line center. With a healthy lineup he would very rarely get 1st pp unit ice time.

Stats don't tell the whole story as players like Stephane LeBeau were given offensive assignments ahead of him.

Carbo's main responsibility was to shut down the oppositions top line and kill penalties. Those were deep teams without much star power up front so the scoring was usually spread out very well. He had the talent to score well over a point per game but wasn't used in that capacity due to his absolute dominance in the defensive aspects of the game.
Superb post.

Quote:
Galchenyuk is easily one of the weakest links on the team right now. He loses more battles than he wins and is being treated with kid gloves by being sheltered from the oppositions top players. He just turned 19 and this is to be expected but you really need to be far more objective before posting some of these observations.

Desharnais has been far better in the last few games than Galchenyuk has at any point this season. I am not bashing Galchenyuk at all but just trying to be unbiased and objective. Alex will improve as he gains confidence but needs to be brought along very slowly. IMO Therrien is doing a fine job with him and is handling DD very well also.

At some point you have to ask yourself why it is that you never understand why coaches make certain decisions...........
I'm more and more impressed by your posts. And yes, Therry seems quire comfy in handling the drama and egos. Tactically I suspect he's kinda crap, but he seems superb with players. And that is what this team needs. Saw a lot of pics in the Gaz today, and most of them had guys smiling at practice, including Therry.

Quote:
This is why Galchenyuk is the default 1st star at all Bell Centre games.
You just never saw talent before in a Habs uni. No worries, you'll get used to it.

Quote:
I watched him for his entire career and he spent almost his entire tenure here with Nilan, Gainey, McPhee, Keane, Brunet, Gilchrist and Corson for brief periods. He is probably best remembered as being the center between Nilan and Gainey and then later on having Mike Keane as a staple on his wing. There were periods when Bobby Smith got hurt and he saw some time with Richer and Corson but he was always a 2nd/3rd line center. With a healthy lineup he would very rarely get 1st pp unit ice time.

Stats don't tell the whole story as players like Stephane LeBeau were given offensive assignments ahead of him.

Carbo's main responsibility was to shut down the oppositions top line and kill penalties. Those were deep teams without much star power up front so the scoring was usually spread out very well. He had the talent to score well over a point per game but wasn't used in that capacity due to his absolute dominance in the defensive aspects of the game.
Superb post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post

As for your analysis, you seem to put too much value on points.

Well. I put a lot of value on points. They tend to win you cups. But what do I know, I saw Gros Bill play when I was 7. And the Habs the entire 70's. Live. They ate teams alive and killed teams to death with skating, goals and assists.

Score goals. Could not care less about solid D play. That was for Gainey to worry about. Oh, wait, he scored goals too.

Quote:
I don't know anyone who really thought Plekanec was worse than Desharnais except maybe Patofqc.

On another note, I would let Desharnais walk at $4M too. I'm hoping for something long-term around $2M, that would be ideal. The only way he gets $4M now is if he either gets really, really, really hot or we make the playoffs and he turns into Saku Koivu.

Even if all he ends up being is a 3rd line "Danny Briere" type guy, I'm fine with that if he comes cheap. Especially if he continues to be one of the better shootout guys in the league. I'll admit I was wrong on his high end talent if I'm wrong, but I'm still happy he made it this far.

One thing I have noticed is that he's not playing the same game he was last year (besides fighting the puck). I've seen him go to the boards more times this year than I did all of last year when trying to enter the zone. He's not a guy you can play dump and chase with - its somewhat frustrating. If that's a team system thing, he definitely doesn't fit into that, so either find a solution by replacing him or changing up the tactic for his line.
What everyone has to realize is that eventually a pro defines his own game. DD needs to score more goals, and I think he knows that.

Last edited by Bad Natey: 02-18-2013 at 12:28 PM.