View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 09:44 AM
LePoche69

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I watched him for his entire career and he spent almost his entire tenure here with Nilan, Gainey, McPhee, Keane, Brunet, Gilchrist and Corson for brief periods. He is probably best remembered as being the center between Nilan and Gainey and then later on having Mike Keane as a staple on his wing. There were periods when Bobby Smith got hurt and he saw some time with Richer and Corson but he was always a 2nd/3rd line center. With a healthy lineup he would very rarely get 1st pp unit ice time.

Stats don't tell the whole story as players like Stephane LeBeau were given offensive assignments ahead of him.

Carbo's main responsibility was to shut down the oppositions top line and kill penalties. Those were deep teams without much star power up front so the scoring was usually spread out very well. He had the talent to score well over a point per game but wasn't used in that capacity due to his absolute dominance in the defensive aspects of the game.
I saw Carbo's entire carreer also and you're right on every account. The element I would add, tho, is that on most night during the Gainey-Carbo-Nilan years, this line was almost always the most played. Sure it was a "third" line by the style of play standard, but it was the first line in the coach's head.