View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 10:23 AM
Esq.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by None View Post
Partial separation and labral tear. The labrum injury could have gone undiagnosed last year due to the nature of a broken bone diagnosis. An MRI wouldn't have been necessary for a broken collarbone, though the physician of a professional athlete should have taken precautionary tests at the shoulder in my opinion.
The hit by Skille last season against Washington could have started the tear and the hit against Pittsburgh may have aggravated it and caused the shoulder dislocation; I say this because the hit that caused the injury looked innocent. Could be anywhere from 3 weeks recovery to 5 months if surgery is suggested.
This is what I immediately thought of as well. I've torn the labrum in both of my shoulders, which led to chronic problems including partial separations almost every time I played hockey. I waited until after I finished college hockey to get the surgeries to fix my shoulders and the bone around my shoulder socket had worn down so much, and the labral tears had gotten so bad, that they had to graft bone onto the socket to repair it.

If this is indeed the problem Enstrom has, I'm guessing he will probably be doing a lot of physical therapy to help strengthen his shoulder and he'll wear a brace to help keep it stable for the duration of the season. Then, he might be able to have surgery to repair the labrum in the offseason. It's something you can play through, but you will have to deal with partial dislocations (called subluxations) or potentially full separations and potentially make the problem worse.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote