View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 11:49 AM
sa cyred
Trying to Chill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Erik Gustafsson and Mike Testwuide were two of the top NCAA free agents when they were on the market. Same with Mangene and Holmstrom. In most cases, the free agents just look for the easiest route to get to the NHL and if you're a forward, Philadelphia is probably the last place you want to go because it's incredibly tough cracking the forwards.

The other issue is that the Flyers always seem to max out their contracts. This might be the year that they let a lot of guys walk in order to free up valuable contract space. When they do, players will come. Defensemen will probably be the priority and it won't surprise me if Sustr and DeKeyser are the targets.
You might be right, but I think the only one with "high" want value was Testwuide who was listed as like #7 best FA. The other three were unknowns, BUT that doesnt mean anything. If anything the Flyers have done a very good job at scouting the FA market for college UFAs. Matt Read was an unknown to everyone. Gustafsson who I still think can be an NHL player, Im fairly confident he wasnt noticed by most teams. This is one section where I do have faith in the team based off of their results.

There are 9 spots opening up. They will most likely sign Holmstrom (injured this past season but undoubly the Phantoms captain), Lauridsen, Harper, and Wellwood. This leaves 5 spots which I think 2-3 will go after college FAs while the other 2 veteran AHL players.

EDIT: The one guy Id be interested in after Sustr and DeKeyser is Nate Schmidt. If what they saying is true that he is improving defensively, his offensive skillset as a defender is very good. Could use a project PP QB.

Last edited by sa cyred: 02-18-2013 at 11:56 AM.