View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
no.. it's because a few said lemieux is popular now because of his off ice stuff like charity and saving the pens. and some did say Crosby is slightly ahead in popularity. What i got so far here is that if you compare Mario in early 90's as a player vs Sid today as a player during their hockey careers, sid wins popularity.. but after what mario did outside of hockey, plus as a player, mario wins.

i'm getting that maybe it's because hockey today is way more popular in pittsburgh than it was during mario's prime. is this possible?? if it is, it's a real shame.
People said some of his popularity is because of his off-ice stuff. Some of it is because of the player he was. Everyone in this thread said that he's in the top 2 all-time most respected/revered athletes in the city, and that's saying something considering the football team that plays on the other side of the river. He's beloved enough that he kept right on living here after his career was over. I think that pretty much says it all.

I guess I don't see where you're going with this. Nobody did or would say that Sid is more popular in Pittsburgh than Mario. He's certainly more front-and-center now but of course that would be the case, partly because Sid is currently playing and partially because more often than not Mario purposely stays out of the spotlight. Some people said that Sid is more popular than Geno because that's actually the topic of the thread. It almost feels like you're passive/aggressively trying to say that Pittsburgh doesn't appreciate Mario and even though we've all told you he's a very big deal here you keep digging and looking for reasons why he's not. If your motives are not nefarious then I apologize.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote