View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Wheatking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
With the centre injuries that you guys had I would think that he would of gotten a chance. He isn't exactly competing with Eberle and Hall since they are wingers. Just like Paajarvi wouldn't have to compete with Henrik and Kesler to get in a top 6 role here. I would hardly say making the Canucks is easy, since Schroeder would of been sent down if he had not played good enough. My comment was more of a shot against the consistency comment prior to it, because although I think he'll rebound, he's hardly been consistent thus far.

Schroeder is playing as a unsheltered two way centre while just getting his feet in the water at the NHl level, does that mean he's better than MPS, I don't think so. Im just tired of some people making assumptions based on his size and points this year, where that doesn't give a proper relflection of his play so far. Is he playing Sean Couturier-esque? Of course not, but he is surprisingly good defensively and good on the transition game (which is something we lack).
All fair points. I don't think it's quite as simple as just competing with the players in your position since I was mainly focusing on the massive amount of powerplay time Schroeder has received. If you're a good offensive player, they'll find a spot on the ice to stick you on the PP. For example. Sometimes the Oilers will put Belanger out on the PP just to win the face off. Suddenly Gagner finds himself playing the point. However, I agree with the main point you were making.

The only point I was trying to make was that people just shouldn't simplify it to "Schroeder is trying to make the CANUCKS while Paajarvi is trying to make the OILERS"...because it's really not that simple. The Canucks might be a much better team but that doesn't mean every player capable to finding a job on their team would a lock to make the Oilers...like some are suggesting. Paajarvi is battling for ice time right now and is finding a way to get into the line up because of his defensive play. If Schroeder is an Oiler, he's likely in the AHL waiting for an injury to occur in the top 6.

Arcobello is an offensive AHL player. He got into a game this year when RNH needed a night off. That probably would have been the one and only game Schroeder would have played for the Oilers this season if he was in their system.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote