View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Can you explain what PDO is, I realize there are metrics in the game, and they can be useful, but for me I don't even know what PDO is, and in reality I see Edler's play on the right side as being very hard to correct. He's awful over there, I'm glad he didn't get $6m+ because our highest paid defensman shouldn't look like that on his off side.

Is there a metric that measures something instead of where you shifts end, but how much of it is in the offensive zone? I mean, ending in the o-zone is all fine and dandy, but if you were stuck in your own zone for 45 seconds of you 60 second shift...how does that tell you anything?

When I watch, I definitely see some imperfections in Bieksa, but to say Hamhuis, Garrison and Edler are miles ahead at this point doesn't pass my eye test (I will say again, I missed the Minnesota and Dallas games, and judging by the results aren't worth wasting my time watching the replay on the pvr).
PDO is the sum of on-ice shooting percentage and on-ice save percentage. It regresses to about a 1000 over a significant enough sample size. Bieksa is at 1080 while Hamhuis and Edler are around 980-ish. Such extremes are usually simply driven by luck.

The problem with Bieksa is that he's right now on the ice for the most shots against of all our D and the 3rd most shots against of all our players. That's a concern going forward when the goaltending stops bailing him out as he's spending most of his time defending rather than driving the play the other way.