View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 01:23 PM
pitseleh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Can you explain what PDO is, I realize there are metrics in the game, and they can be useful, but for me I don't even know what PDO is, and in reality I see Edler's play on the right side as being very hard to correct. He's awful over there, I'm glad he didn't get $6m+ because our highest paid defensman shouldn't look like that on his off side.
PDO is basically the sum of a player's on-ice shooting percentage and save percentage. It regresses to 1(00%) over the long term for the vast majority of NHL players.

Quote:
Is there a metric that measures something instead of where you shifts end, but how much of it is in the offensive zone? I mean, ending in the o-zone is all fine and dandy, but if you were stuck in your own zone for 45 seconds of you 60 second shift...how does that tell you anything?
Corsi (or Fenwick) plus zone starts/finishes does that. Vic Ferrari showed many years ago that Corsi is an exceptional proxy for zone time. Years ago the league used to track zone time and he compared zone time values to Corsi over that season and found a correlation of 0.9.

Quote:
When I watch, I definitely see some imperfections in Bieksa, but to say Hamhuis, Garrison and Edler are miles ahead at this point doesn't pass my eye test (I will say again, I missed the Minnesota and Dallas games, and judging by the results aren't worth wasting my time watching the replay on the pvr).
Bieksa by my eye has been the worst defenceman on the team. I don't think he's taken a big step backwards defensively but I do think his contributions on offense have diminished to the point where they don't overcome his defensive deficiencies.