View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
You mention Klassen playing well consistently, is he a top-4 AHL d-man right now? How is his footwork? How does he handle smaller speedy forwards?
His original scouting report said that he can't skate to save a life, which was true when he was sent down to the ECHL. For that reason, I've paid a special attention to his skating and can tell you that the scouting reports are outdated. It is no longer true. He's a competent skater for a defensive defenseman.

Klassen is easily a top-4 AHL defenseman. He's been by far the best defensive defenseman for the Whale this year, except for McIlrath in the last few weeks. But until then, I would only feel comfortable with our defense when Klassen was on the ice because he was the only one helpful to the goalie. Early in the season, I'd watch someone make a good defensive play and think, "wait, who's this?" ... and the answer consistently turn out to be Klassen.

He's like the Sauer of the AHL - consistently good and smart on defense.

Quote:
On Yogan, you say he has turned it around, I found that in juniors, he was at his best when he was driving to the net hard (ala Nash) with the puck. Has that part transitioned to the pros or was that mainly because of his size in juniors?
Yes, that's exactly what happened. He has a hell of a set of wheels, especially for a 6-foot-3 guy. When he uses his size and speed to drive to the net, it will get you up off your seat. That's an exciting moment in the game every time.

Quote:
Thoughts on Haley or Mashinter being called up? Who would you choose?
Neither will be a difference maker at the NHL level. They are borderliners.