View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
Thanks for the updates my man, I haven't seen much of the whale since the lockout ended. Have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

- Have they found a steady partner for McIlrath in Vernace?
This isn't a bad pairing because Vernace is good offensively and McIlrath is good defensively. Kind of like Leetch-Beukeboom. But Vernace got injured last game.

Vernace needs a quality defensive guy to cover for him as he's taking chances offensively. He can't be paired with Collins, who should be in the ECHL. That pairing, which Kenny G insisted on using for over half a season, is a disaster. Since moving away Vernace from Collins, his game has turned around.

Quote:
- How much PK time is he getting? How has he looked?
He's on our first PK team. You have a guy who's big, fast and smart, so why wouldn't he be on the PK?

Quote:
- How is he taking guys out along the boards? Hip checks? Clean shoulder hits? Is he still getting his elbows up? Has he landed a submarine special on any one yet?
I don't remember many hip checks because usually smaller, chippier guys do that (think Kasparaitis, Tikkanen, Ulf Samuelsson - all of them 5-11 to 6-1), but his body checks are great. He finishes the checks instead of just shoving the opponent, then quickly gets back in position. It's clear that as soon as he hits a guy, he thinks about making sure he goalie gets help.

Honestly, I am having a hard time pointing to a flaw on defense by McIlrath in the last couple of weeks. He's just been dominant defensively. If he played yesterday in the NHL the same way he did in Hartford, there would be a mass celebration on this forum.