View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 12:51 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Who are the best goalies coming out this year?
Here is one look at the top goalies in the draft:

Quote:
With Nate MacKinnon and Seth Jones leading a very deep and talented prospect crop, the 2013 NHL Entry Draft should be very exciting this year when it comes to available skaters. There has been a lot less hype about the goaltending in this draft, but like every year there seems to be a few diamonds in the rough. For those looking for the next Marc-Andre Fleury to emerge as an 18-year-old, I don't believe this is the draft for you, but here is a look at my top five netminding prospects, all of whome have a good chance to wear an NHL jersey someday.

1) Zach Fucale, Halifax (QMJHL)
Fucale has been a work horse for the Halifax Mooseheads, a team nationally ranked as one of the best in the CHL all season. In 44 games player he has an impressive record (35-5-2) with a goals-against average of 2.43 and save percentage of .901.

His save totals have some concerned as most look for the percentage to be in the .910 to .920 range to be elite. My thoughts on this center around the long stretches of play where he does not see action on a team that has a tendency to fall asleep defensively. It's tough to stay in a rhythm when you go from zero shots to fending off high-quality scoring chances.

Fucale plays a very calm butterfly style similar to Cam Ward (Carolina Hurricanes). At 6-foot-1, size is not an issue but over time he will need to improve his scrambling play on second- and third-chance shots. The NHL's Central Scouting Service ranks Fucale as the No. 1 goaltending prospect in North America.

2) Marcus Hogberg, Linkoping (SWE)
Size has become a more and more attractive trait for the position (think Pekka Rinne) and at 6-4 Hogberg looks like another in a long list of elite Swedish netminders. He's seen only limited action this year, which is a bit of a concern, but the overall package offers something special.

In 13 games he's posted a 2.20 GAA and .916 save percentage. He moves very well for a big man and plays to his strengths -- good positioning and playing angles. It is very hard not to like the size.

"How do you not like the upside on this big kid?" said one Western Conference scout who just returned from Europe. "Every time I see him play I think he is an NHL goaltender."

Central Scouting ranks him No. 3 among European goalies.

3) Tristan Jarry, Edmonton (WHL)
Jarry has played in 20 games this season, sharing time with Laurent Brossoit (Calgary Flames, 2012 draft) and Jarry's numbers are extremely impressive. A 1.65 GAA and .935 save percentage suggest he is elite, but like all players stats do not tell the full story.

I like this kid's effort level and the fact that he is slightly on the weak side suggests there is much room for him to grow. A fellow scouting colleague said to me, "If he was the No. 1 in Edmonton, we may be talking about him as the best goaltender in the draft."

Excellent second effort and post-save recovery will take this kid a long way.

Central Scouting's got him at No. 3 in North America.

4) Philippe Desrosiers, Rimouski (QMJHL)
He's currently out with a sprained knee and expected to be sidelined for another two weeks. But when he was healthy he helped Rimouski regain its status as one of the best teams in Canada. (Rimouski is currently ranked sixth in the CHL.) Excellent skating allows him to get out of the crease, handling pucks and aid his defensemen with his mobility and side-to-side movement in the net.

"I am extremely impressed with his feet and balance, which are sometimes overlooked for the position," said one Eastern Conference scout and former goaltender. "In 35 games he has a record of 20-7-4. Central slots him in at No. 6 among North American netminders.

5) Eamon McAdam, Waterloo (USHL)
McAdam shares the load with teammate Calvin Petersen -- whom Central Scouting ranked higher -- but I like McAdam. In 22 games this year he has a record of 14-5-1 with 3.29 GAA and .899 save percentage. Those are not numbers anyone is going to get excited about but this big kid has a lot of game. I watched him play some excellent hockey earlier in the season at the World Junior A Challenge, where he helped Team USA win gold. He needs time to work on controlling his body position, but I see lots of second effort and an excellent stick for playing the puck.

Central Scouting pegs him at No. 7 in North America.

Honorable Mentions
Eric Comrie, Tri-City (WHL): Hip surgery (labrum) may scare some teams but he was having an excellent season up until the injury. He's now out for the remainder of the year, but was Central Scouting's No. 2 North American before going down.

Juuse Saros, HPK-Jr. (FIN): Extremely quick and putting in sold numbers, but at 5-10 his size is working against him. The No. 1 netminder in Europe according to Central Scouting.