View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Skk82

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Yeah I have a big problem with this rhetoric about Bylsma mishandling rookies, and again I don't even like the guy. It's all because of Strait's quote, which I take with a grain if salt. Overreaction to athlete's quotes when they're just trying to come up with **** to say and get out of the interview is so overrated. He was afraid to make a mistake because the Penguins had a lot of Dmen and he didn't know when he'd get in the lineup next for that same reason. Tangradi was afraid to make a mistake because there was pressure on him. That's fine dude. Go to the Jets where there's no pressure to perform. All that doesn't mean it's Bylsma's fault though.

Shero mistakenly kept Lovejoy over Strait and Tangradi sucks. That's all this is.
Total agreement with the first paragraph.

As far as taking Lovejoy over Strait, it's a gamble that makes sense. Lovejoy has been around figuratively forever, I think they were comfortable with him as a 7/8 guy and didn't want to lose him for anything.

Strait, of the three bubble defensemen (Lovejoy, Bortuzzo) was the most likely to clear waivers. Strait didn't have Bortuzzo's size or Lovejoy's experience. Strait is also older than Bort and not as good of a skater as Lovejoy.

That and no trades were being made around waiver time for fringe players. Shero held on to Lovejoy, but he turned that into a 5th round pick. It's highly doubtful 10-15 games into the season he would turn Strait into even a 5th round pick.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote