View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 01:44 PM
OilersFan1978

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
i disagree in somehow an NHL team needing time to develop a fan base in Seattle.

I live in the Tacoma area.

In Washington you have a large % of people who are transplants from northeast , midwest, and Canada.

Seattle area has 2 WHL teams, and in their actual market which would include Washington State and Portland there are 3 other WHL teams.

If you have cable in the Seattle area you get CBC aired (satelitte appears not to carry it).

Hockey will not have any issue in establishing a fanbase.

If hockey were to come in first they would get a head start on marketing than if they waited for an NBA team to come.
I lived in Tacoma for ten years and am well versed in the state of hockey in Washington and the Northwest in general, and I do not disagree with any of your points. Comparatively speaking however, they will need time to develop a fan base while the Sonics have a built-in fan base already. A new NHL team would do quite well, in terms of fan support, during its first season, but the real kicker would be to see how things look in Year Two, especially if they do not play especially well during Year One. I personally love the idea of hockey coming to Seattle and think they will do well, but it's not as though they would sell out all their season ticket packages in an hour or anything.