View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 02:19 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Not necessarily in terms of production but instead being a guy that catalyzes the offense by getting the puck moving out of the defensive zone efficiently and smartly joining the rush.

Physical play, like anything else a player does, is not valuable in and of itself - it's valuable to the extent that it helps the team score or prevent goals. Those are the only two things that ultimately determine who wins and loses the game. Describing physical play as the same as those two other things is asinine. It's like saying Patrick Kane is especially valuable because he's a good stickhandler.
Agree with the bold. The problem is how do you measure whether physical play helps or prevents goals. The impact of having a more physical player and team may be felt throughout the lineup rather than simply on that individual player's numbers. That i swhy in my view stats are a good starting point but don't show the complete picture in all cases.
One of Bieksa's biggest strengths, IMO, like Burrows, is to provide a goal or assist at key times in a game or playoff series. I suspect that this is something that can be measured statistically.