View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 05:00 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazoid View Post
Every goaltender has bad games, but coming from a former Thrasher fan, to where Mason lost his number one spot to Ondrej Pavelec, are you honestly trying to convince people that Mason is a better Goaltender than Rinne? I'm sorry, but Lundqvist and Rinne are the best Goaltenders in the League bar none, Mason is maybe a bottom five. Just, just stop. He was embarrassing on the Thrashers who couldn't play defense to save their lives, and Nashville has arguably the best defense in the league and Mason still sucks.

There is no need for further discussion on the matter.
You hit the nail on the head about his time in Atlanta ... the Thrashers never played defense from 9/11/99 (their first preseason game in Columbus, Ga) through 4/10/2011.

No I'm not saying Mason is a better goaltender ... but the fact is that Mason has two good games this season. His stats were respectable before today's performance. Yet, when Mason lets in a nearly identical goal to what Rinne allowed less than 48 hours ago, the collective memory overlooks what Pekka did and the venom floods the thread. As others have noted, our team defense hung Mason out to dry on several of the goals allowed. McGinn and Kobasew were alone in the low slot and put perfectly placed shots on net. Blum saved Rinne from a similar puck left laying in the crease a game or two ago ... Mason didn't have the same help and lost track of the puck. Sucks, but it happens. Sometimes the goalie gets bailed out, sometimes he doesn't and the puck ends up in the net.

Rinne has a few games where he allowed far too many goals this season. Where he's allowed softies (the last Hawks goal for example). We wont' even get into his shootout performances this year that are a full 11 sv% below last year ... 20 sv% below two seasons ago.