View Single Post
Old
12-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Yanner39

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
Any idea what I'm gonna say here lowetide ?

6 points behind CAL...

they have 2 games in hand.

ANA and DAL are dogs right now, but teams like that almost always have a hot streak, hotter than EDM can get.

It is early, but it was a tough battle from the start of the year when we were all even. It's tougher now.

No doubt in my mind that it is a perfect time to "embrace the horror" and have a real quick reload here to get ready for the post-lockout era.

Oilers are a rebuilding club that honestly would be best served by moving as many of Smith, Laraque, Isbister, Dvorak***, Cross, Ferguson, Staois*** and Smyth*** as possible by the end of January. Load up on picks, hopefully pick top 10 this year, and come out swinging post lockout. And of course Salo for anything if you can, though the way he's playing the cynic in me thinks you keep splitting the games hoping Salo catches fire, and as soon as he does maybe you can move him at the deadline for a pick of some sort, in case someone wants insurance in goal.

*** - indicates only move if you get a pretty damn good return.
You can't gut the team as well. Players like Smyth, Dvorak, Staios and Isbister could certainly be part of a post-2004 Oiler team. Even if we get good prospects for these players, the Oilers still won't be competitive well beyond 2004.

Plus, as far as giving up on this season, I think it's a bit pre-mature. I mean, as much as Dallas and Anaheim can go on a hot streak, so can the OIlers. Also, I'm not sold on Cgy and Nashville. When they get reasonner back and Oates gets his groove, improving the PP and PK (hopefully), the OIlers will win their share of games.

Now I must qualify this by saying that at the beginning of the season, I thought the Oilers had a chance at 5th place in the conference, so don't hold me to this.