View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 05:46 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
I stand corrected. He was broken twice, but still has not dropped a set. What impressed me this year is the number of sets that went to a tie-break has gone down. In both 2011 and 2012 he had 4 sets that went to a tie break, one in each match in 2012, and both sets of the final in 2011.

This year he had only one against Istomin. To me that shows a HUGE and significant improvement in his return game. This is the year he needs to start winning 500 events, making 1000 semis or finals, and breaking through to the QFs in GS events.

Of course even though he defended his full 250 points this week he still dropped a spot in the rankings and is now 14th. He may even stay at 14th after this week, unless he wins. Cilic is staying in 12th as he has no points to defend, Raonic can leap from Simon and move back to 13th with a win, as he'd gain 200 points. Simon would need more than 90 points for this tournament to count, but then he'd drop that 90.
That is definitely one more thing he did this week that he needs to keep doing, stop going to so many breakers. When Roger was in his prime, he would pounce on a break opportunity and then put less effort on the opponents serve if the guy was doing well to preserve energy. He knew he could win the set by holding serve throughout. Milos has been doing that recently, both in this tourney and in DC. He would put out more effort if he was at 30 all or deuce on the servers game but not if it was 40-15 or 40-0. There is a lot of strategy not only in constructing a point but also a game.