View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
We're talking about a 6 game sample size, correct?

Anyways, I don't want to turn this into a Zibanejad vs O'Reilly debate. There's still the 5+ million we'd have to invest and I'm not fond of Wiercoich as a throw in. As it stands right now, Wier is probably Gonchar's replacement. I don't want to create holes in our lineup next year in an attempt to salvage a playoff berth.

We'd then have to spend upwards of 5M in free agency to plug Gonch's void (sounds dirty) unless we're wanting Benoit or Gryba there.

So, 10M or so added in salary plus we won't have addressed our needs. It's just not a great move for this squad. We're better off letting Zibanejad, Stone etc develop in the NHL before dealing them.
Where would we be adding 10m in salary? We're at most adding about 5m for O'Reilly...if we don't re-sign Gonchar his 5.5 comes off the books. We get Cowen back next year and a bunch of the Bingo guys are a year more developed. There are a few free agents that will maybe be available, and maybe more a trade could be in the works.

You act like ROR wouldn't be a very significant part of our future. He's 22 (just turned 22 recently) years old and following a very nice trajectory in his career. He's a natural leader and a very hard worker. He would be part of the core of our franchise moving forward and if he continues to develop as he has could one day even be a #1 centre. Zibanejad is a nice player but I see his upside as a very good 2nd line winger.

Ultimately this boils down to a matter of opinion, but I don't see how that move hurts us especially with our obvious defensive depth, potential trades, and free agents (Corvo, Gonchar, Visnovsky, Whitney, Streit, etc.) that could fill Gonchar's spot. Meanwhile we have great centre depth and without having to move for an elite winger we have a potentially elite winger in Turris to play with Spezza while Silfverberg has another year under his belt and could play the 2nd line with O'Reilly. Stone, Hoffman, Prince, and Da Costa all have another year...etc.

It's a move that really anchors our team right now in allowing us to potentially compete while also bringing a lot to our future without having to rely on Zibanejad to reach his top end potential. Keep in mind...we're only talking about moving Zibanejad and Wierchioch...we still have a huge cupboard stocked full of prospects.