View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 10:15 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I don't know WHY people seem to think a #1 Defensemen NEEDS to be scoring, that's what we have Forwards for. Yes Shattenkirk is producing offense, but we SAW firsthand how his Defensive game was, and it was lacking to say the least. He has a great offensive mind, no doubt, but he's still a bit on the small side and again, we SAW how easily he could be taken off the puck.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see EJ produce, but I'd MUCH rather see EJ continue developing his defensive Mean-Streak that he has been using.

He's been turning into a much better Defender.

He's what I want our #1 Dman to be, I'm perfectly happy with this. And on the offensive side, he's still got a nice shot, he needs a better PP system to unleash it, and needs to get it past the initial defender and he'll get more confidence and he'll start scoring more.
it's because people are always fascinated by offense.
they see the greats like Borque,Lidstrom,Orr,Leetch,Coffey and Chelios and assume that scoring also makes a great defenseman.

EJ has changed the defense by a wide margin for the team. his absence shows just how badly he is missed and how crucial he is to the success of the team. plus he was the #1 overall pick and the pressure of that is to be a franchise scorer and defender.
EJ has been the top pairing defender we've lacked for years. but we have not surrounded him with anyone who is a legit top pairing partner as of yet. maybe Barrie works out to become that guy or Elliot does but we haven't signed or as of yet drafted and developed a guy near EJ's level of play or that can pair with him.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote