View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 11:15 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSharkie View Post
I'd like to see to see one of these forwards picked: Anthony Mantha (LW), Max Domi (C) Kerby Rychel (LW), or Adam Erne(RW) for various reasons. Either way I believe we desperately could use a forward prospect like those above. (Assuming we aren't so terrible that we end up with a top ten pick, in which case I'd obviously want the next tier up)

Mantha: goal scorer, big, good speed,skill (knock on him is consistency)
Domi: Excellent skating, Excellent skill/hands (knock is his size mostly)
Rychel : another sniper type but also good playmaker, skating is good not great, physical but not great defensively
Erne: solid all around player who competes and is the type that helps you win (goes to the hard areas) also has size.

Either way we definitely need a youth movement when it comes to the forward group, any of these guys would help.
I'm down with Mantha or Erne, but I have concerns with Rychel and Domi.

While Domi has tons of offensive skill, he's a horrible neutral zone player and defensive player. He puts up numbers in the OHL, but he has almost no two-way play. And the biggest issue is of course, his size, which leads me to believe that he can't develop a passable two-way game. He's extremely sheltered in London with Chris Tierney and Bo Horvat playing difficult defensive minutes, and Domi playing almost exclusively in the offensive zone. And, of course, London is an amazing team, so that certainly effects Domi's numbers. Also worth taking into consideration is Domi's a diabetic, although he seems to be managing it fine.

As for Rychel, my concern is that he can't put up numbers unless he's playing with an elite playmaker. Last season, he put up great numbers playing with Alexander Khokhlachev. This season, Khokhlachev went to play in the KHL and Rychel's numbers absolutely plummeted. Then Khokhlachev came back after the WJC, and Rychel's numbers ballooned. I haven't seen him play much, but that would be a serious concern for me. Besides skating and defensive issues, I just don't know if he has the offensive upside worthy of a first rounder. Plus, he's a really early birthday, 3 weeks from being drafted in 2012.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote