View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I mean, to acquire talent like Stamkos or Crosby or Malkin would be incredible but I just don't think I can stomach the season required to make those possible.
I feel the same way. I was 4 when the Rangers won the cup, so my formidable years as a fan were the dark years of no playoffs. That means all the games I went to as a kid and I watched EVERY SINGLE GAME ON TV RELIGIOUSLY were the teams that were constantly missing the playoffs. BUT they were always somewhat competitive, which made losing the playoffs not sting AS much because there was always a slight chance.

I know players like Malkin and Crosby are amazing and everything, but tanking and drafting a crazy talent at 1st overall isn't the ONLY way to success. Sometimes I wonder about posters on here who seem to think that is the only way to build a team. Saying that we need that homegrown superstar (ignoring Hank who is a top 10 player of any position in the league).

Perhaps people forget that (one of) the most beloved player in our team's history, Mark Messier, was a trade whom was already a "homegrown star" for another franchise. He was also on the other side of 30 when we got him. (Also, Graves wasn't homegrown either.) Messier went on to lead our team to a few solid years, and eventually the Cup. Meanwhile, people complain about Brad Richards being on the other side of 30, Gaborik being a non-homegrown star and Nash taking a big trade to get here (all three of those things can be applied to Messier).

Idk I guess that was a disjointed ramble of a post, but maybe someone will catch my drift.