View Single Post
Old
02-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

vCash: 500
Dryland training can go a long way to improving skating.

I disagree that skating on the ice is the only way to improve your skating.

There are a ton of mechanics that go into skating that can be trained on dryland.

Doesnt mean someone can be a good skater by only doing dryland and not skating.

Some of the issues facing skaters include:

- foot coordination/speed
- balance
- strength
- explosiveness
- flexibility

If you want to become a better skater you will go much farther committing yourself to say 1 hour of dryland training a day and working on the above. As opposed to doing 5 days of power skating once a year.

A massive part of skating that gets over looked is your core. A strong core is a must for developing your skating.

I would start out doing deadlifts to build your posterior chain (glutes, hamstrings, lower back) and doing goblet squats (lighter weight but deeper squat that helps open up your hip muscles/ligaments). These will also help develop your balance and your core.

Also do core exercises like the plank and side plank.

I would also do balance exercises. Balance is as much about the strength of all those little tiny no name muscles as it is about the neuro logical response.

You can get balance boards and half foam rollers (one flat side one round side), you can also set up a walking course of various lengths and of 2x4 wood pieces. With any of these you can stick handle (two birds with one stone and recreated the real mechanics) as you practice your balance. For example with the wood pieces cut a few 8 foot lengths of 2x4 into random lengths. Make a course (imagine logs on a river) and walk the course never stepping on the ground and stick handling the whole time.

You can also get a Bosu ball for balance and do exercises on that. I do my one armed shoulder presses with kettle bells on a BOSU to help with balance.

Do lots of hockey specific stretches to open up the muscles/tendon/ligaments used in hockey ( these are often not used in any other sports).

You can also do simple foot coordination foot speed drills such as dots. Basically make a square with markings on the floor, a dot in each corner plus one in the center and do some drills. Kinds like that Wii dance game all the kids love doing.

Id worry about explosiveness later on once youve got a good foundation (unless youve been working out for some time now). You can do sprints, plyo metrics etc for that.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote