View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 12:11 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Because it's an easy port with the new game engines, they have very little to lose and profit to gain.
But as Wingman stated just above:
Quote:
I'm going out on a limb and guessing that most early adopters also had at least one of of the 360 or PS3. And given that such a person will have already invested in one of those systems, and that the game was likely to be better on one of them, they were not going to buy it on the U. It would have been stupid to when they could grab something like Nintendoland or NSMBU - something they couldn't get elsewhere. It's the same reason I think sales of things like Batman AC, Mass Effect 3, and Darksiders 2 never took off on the U - a lot of the people buying the U already have them.
I completely agree... however what is the incentive for a developer, right now, to develop for the Wii U as a 3rd party if there is such a big overlap?

Say i'm developing a game and started 6 months ago on a 12 - 15 month timeline. I am building for the 360 and the PS3 but can delay for the 720 and the PS4, possibly. I can also develop for the Wii U... but, as stated, the time required to port could be put into other areas of development and it's incredibly likely that the same people who would buy my game already have the 360 or the PS3.

That's what I would see as a developer, that the Wii U doesn't represent a large amount of new customers just an overlap with the existing generation owners.