View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 01:53 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

vCash: 500
For people asking about the Halak-was-healthy or Oshie-hates-Halak conspiracy theories, Bernie asked Oshie about the news that Halak wouldn't start and Oshie said, "For whatever reason, Jaro didn't want to go or didn't think he could go..."

Out of context, that sounds like Oshie thinks Halak is faking or won't play through some pain, but in context, the Blues had just lost against LA and he was upset about losing. Is it possible that's really what Oshie thinks? Okay, sure. Is it possible that's really what's going on with Halak? Anything's possible.

But I hope we can all agree that's a lot to deduce from very little. I wouldn't be surprised if some far worse accusations were said among the team during the losing streak. Hell, when Backes said that guys on the team were looking at the stat sheet, counting cookies instead of taking hits to make plays for the team, that's not a small claim and I have no problem with it, even if it's untrue. You don't have to be counting your points to play bad hockey. But when Hitch, Backes, and Pietro talked publicly about turning it around immediately, the team actually did it. I'm sure even the players who were already working hard wanted to prove that they weren't the guys Backes was talking about.

An interesting thing to me is in Burnside's recent Blues articles, quoting Hitchcock about making Allen a part of the team as quickly as possible. Combine that with his choice to keep playing Allen and I think that says more about the situation than a brief, out of context, post-game, five game losing streak quote. The Blues obviously lost confidence when Halak went down and they now have some of it back in front of Allen. I have no need for a conspiracy beyond that.