View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 08:44 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Eh, he's all flash, IMO. If he can't do the hard and dirty work to score his points, he won't thrive as a professional. We had Brendan Shinnimin, an UDFA, in our camp a couple years ago. He scored like 130 points in 70 games his final WHL season. But his game isn't really suited to the pros, and he's a middling prospect in the AHL. I don't think St. Croix is a bad prospect, but I don't think he's anything to get excited about.

His offense has dipped this year as well. I will say, in his defense, that he has shown more of a focus on his two way play and defensive responsibilities in the two or three games I've watched this year (HockeyStreams is great, BTW ). He's just kinda "meh" to me. A fourth round pick that looks like a fourth round pick.

He's another guy that I've never been impressed with. He basically plateaued offensively as a 16-year old. The lack of progress is sort of alarming. I do need to watch him though...haven't seen him this year.
From the young stars game I saw, St. Croix looked willing to do the dirty work, skated well, didn't look timid, made a few good defensive plays. I obviously don't watch him all the time but with his skill and vision one would assume he would have at least a shot at the NHL at some point.

With McColgan I go all the way back to right after he was drafted. He looked great in camp. Little ball of energy. Drove hard to the net, hit, blocked shots, used his speed to create turnovers. If he plays like that, the stats won't matter all that much.