Thread: Erik Johnson
View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
I love EJ and tried to rationalize the trade when it happened but I definitely feel like we've overpaid for what we received. Part of that problem falls on management for not putting EJ in the best possible position to develop and succeed when we acquired him as a 2 years ago. We should have done what we could to find a better veteran partner to teach him, and played him a lot more minutes the way Columbus throws JJ out there in all situations. Now he's 25 and approaching what should be his prime and we're still hoping he develops an offensive game.

If he continues on his current trajectory he will be a great defensive dman, but more Dan Hamhuis than a Shea Weber. McClement was always a throw-in, and moving up 20 odd spots in the draft was nice (who we each picked there isn't on Sherman), but I really do believe that giving up two great players for 1 great player and a prospect is a bad deal.

Similar to the Varly deal, we got a great player, but gave up a lot of value, perhaps a bit more patience should have been exercised. I feel like Sherman tried to expedite the rebuild rather than waiting for the right opportunities to make a deal and in the process either just moved us laterally or set us back depending on your view of things.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote