View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Thanks to a combination of Louis Riel Day, nagging headache and rotten weather, I had a chance to rewatch a bunch of Jets games on GameCentre and not feel it was a total waste of time.

There's lots to like with this team at even strength. It might not get reflected in the stats and (more importantly) on the scoreboard, but more often than not, they seem to be doing the right things at 5 v 5. One guy who stood out to me on repeated viewings was Olli Jokinen. Say what you will about his lack of offensive production, but he's an insanely smart and hard-working player without the puck.

The biggest problem on the PP, aside from the fact it takes far too long to get the puck up ice, is that the Jets are really lacking players who can make penalty killers miss when they leave their box. They absolutely need guys who can keep opposing PKers honest, because teams are basically just playing aggressively as though it were even strength. EDIT: Wow, that sounds eerily similar to the Buffalo PP woes that Woodhouse just described.

Aside from some weak play in front of goal, the Jets penalty kill isn't nearly as bad as the numbers would indicate. Pavelec has to do a better job of tracking these shots from 30 feet and further. Many times he's been in position and just allows the shot to go through him.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. My biggest concern is that once the PP gets going and Pavelec starts playing decent, some other damned problem will start cropping up.