View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 11:43 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Being reported that the Patriots will NOT franchise Welker. The writing is on the wall that his time with the Pats is likely over unless he takes a smaller deal.

If he does go I won't be overly upset. For all the good things he has done, he has had a bunch of really bad drops over the last few years. Might be time to move on.
At this point, Welker doesn't do THAT MUCH MORE than a guy like Edelman could. Sure, he has way better numbers because he is targeted WAY MORE, but he isn't essential as he used to be. He drops passes and even if he is still producing at an elite pace, he isn't as clutch as he used to be.

That being said, I would do what I could to bring him back if I were the Patriots. He isn't worth 11M+ and if Wes is smart, he'll understand that he likely won't succeed elsewhere except if he could somehow land a similar role. That is unlikely to happen at the money he wants. A team throwing him big money will hope he can provide more than he is asked to do in NE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Either the Patriots get a hold of Harvin or they just use Edelman in Welker's place.
I think they could even use Lloyd in Welker's role, he is a great route runner. Lloyd isn't a great deep threat anyway and drafting/signing a real one could help the offense tremendously.