Thread: Prospect Info: 2013 NHL Draft Thread
View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Stretch Factor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
The defense question (take one with one of our first two picks) is one that is really going to be difficult this year more than last.

I like Seth Jones a lot. He has great size and athleticism. He's the perfect complement to Murray for the next decade. We're talking a Keith-Seabrook or Niedermayer-Pronger type dynamic (the latter two primarily playing together on power play, but I digress). There's no denying that wins championships.

But it would be hard for me, if the draft were today, to take Jones if there's an opportunity to take two of MacKinnon, Drouin and Barkov, particularly if you have the chance to take MacKinnon and Drouin because of how the cookies crumble. That's a chance equivalent to taking the Sedin twins. Again, you have a pair of guys that could each be among the top 10-20 forwards in a few years time.

Pulock is an interesting player, but Jones' size makes him more intriguing to me. Again, Chara/Pronger types are few and far between and they give their team an immediate advantage for a variety of reasons.
I agree with all of this. I guess it's a good problem to have, but I'm very glad we have The Finn to make this decision.

All things being equal, I'd like to have 2 offensive studs (at least one of them a center) with the first two picks and then take a big d-man with the NYR pick or our 2nd rounder. (Nurse, Zadorov, Mueller are all bigger d-men).