View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 11:50 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorps2012 View Post
Two other AHL teams didn't last in Des Moines why go back? From what I've heard, The USHL's Buccaneers are first in hockey fans hearts there.
First of all, it was ONE AHL team that had its name change after an affiliation shuffle, not two teams (The I-Stars and the Chops are the same team, that is).

Second of all, the I-Stars/Chops were never the primary affiliate of the Wild, and that might bring more people to the arena than the Dallas or Anaheim prospects did.

Third, a different management team can do wonders in a market that was not well exploited by poor ownership previously.

None of this is to say that a Wild AHL team in Des Moines would be a slam dunk -- there is the real effect of the entrenched fan base for the Buccaneers, that's true -- but to dismiss it out of hand simply because the I-Stars/Chops were horridly managed is to way oversimplify the situation. I can see why such a potential shift might appeal to some in the Wild's management. Which isn't to say that I think anything is a done deal.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote