View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 01:11 PM
EbencoyE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
I guess I just don't believe that Olympic hockey viewership translates into NHL hockey viewership. Most Olympic viewers I know watch and enjoy all kinds of sports while the Olympics are on and fall in love with great athletic performances and then completely ignore those sports and athletes until the next Olympics. Why would hockey be any different?
Most "recent" hockey converts I've met had their first major exposure to the sport in 2010 with the Vancouver games. It did wonders for the sport here in the U.S.

There's no way in hell a World Cup of Hockey has any benefits for the sport/league besides a couple games of ticket revenue. There's a reason they stopped having the World Cup in the first place, nobody gave a ****. And for good reason. Even as a hockey fan, it's hard to have any interest in a tournament with no history that is heavily biased towards the North American teams. I prefer the World Championships much more than the World Cup. People like to complain about the WHC not being "best-on-best", but I'd rather watch a Team USA full of players who aren't "too good" for the national team just because they have good NHL contracts and no longer need to use the tournament to raise their value, while a guy like Patrick Kane spends his off-season getting plastered at Frat parties.