View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
At this point, Welker doesn't do THAT MUCH MORE than a guy like Edelman could. Sure, he has way better numbers because he is targeted WAY MORE, but he isn't essential as he used to be. He drops passes and even if he is still producing at an elite pace, he isn't as clutch as he used to be.

That being said, I would do what I could to bring him back if I were the Patriots. He isn't worth 11M+ and if Wes is smart, he'll understand that he likely won't succeed elsewhere except if he could somehow land a similar role. That is unlikely to happen at the money he wants. A team throwing him big money will hope he can provide more than he is asked to do in NE.

I think they could even use Lloyd in Welker's role, he is a great route runner. Lloyd isn't a great deep threat anyway and drafting/signing a real one could help the offense tremendously.
Welker wants to get paid and I just don't see the Patriots ponying up the cash for him.

Lloyd is afraid to get hit by his own shadow. There is no way he could ever be a receiver like Welker.

I look for the Pats to explore Harvin or someone like Danny Amendola. Edelman could fill the the role but I'm not sure on him staying healthy.

I do agree that they need to look at bringing in a deep threat.