View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 01:29 PM
tjcurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I don't know how you can bring him up and then say you're not comparing them. Ribs wasn't a part of the future of the team and had only 1 year remaining on his contract. Loui is a part of the core and has 3 years remaining and no reason to believe he wouldn't re-sign when the time comes.

Creating a hypothetical where the Stars get a return they can't possibly refuse doesn't have much meaning since it's not going to happen.

Eriksson is the epitome of a player you never should want to trade. He's exactly what you want a Dallas Star to be.
I get that, but Im not comparing them as players, Im showing an example of dealing a vet for a younger player.

I get all that about Loui, Im not saying he needs to go, but open yoursel to the option.

Im talking about these type of deals:

1990 -
100 point center Denis Savard (age 29) traded by Chicago to Montreal for 28 year old defenseman Chris Chelios.

1990 -
100 point center Dale Hawerchuk (age 27) traded by Winnipeg to Buffalo for 26 year old defenseman Phil Housley.

1995 -
40-50 goal winger Brendan Shanahan (age 26) traded by St.Louis to Hartford for 20 year old defenseman Chris Pronger.

Or

1995 -
Calgary trades 40 goal/90 point center Joe Nieuwendyk (age 28) to Dallas for prospect Jarome Iginla.

2009 -
Boston trades 36 goal winger Phil Kessel (age 21) to Toronto for two 1st round picks (Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton)

2011 -
Philadelphia trades 26 year old 35-45 goal scoring forward to Columbus for 21 year old Jakub Voracek and a 1st ( Sean Couturier)

I know its hypothetical. Of course it is. But the fact is Loui could possibly fetch a return of the likes. Again, not saying he has to go, just exploring options of how this team will turn today in to a better tomorrow. A deal may not be out there, but exploring the prospect is what Im saying Im open to.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote