View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 04:11 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
On Richards, which I believe was mentioned in the Kessel thread. I said the Kings would be foolish to not consider moving him if there was a strong enough offer. Which would return another core player. I said, and still stand by it that if MR is going to be a 45-50 point player his contract is going to be a problem going forward for the Kings.

And it's convenient to cherry pick the stats, failing to note the comments were made before MR scored 3 PP goals in the past two games. The guy is still nowhere close to being an offensive force 5 on 5, and that is why I like him better in a third line role. But I'm sure I'll be torn down for being a "Richards Hater" by a certain Flyer fan who pretty much said MR is the most special player they have seen since Bob Clarke (but bias is only a one way street, I guess)

I am not advocating trading MR right now, he is a very good hockey player, I just question his ability to be a dominant second line center (which DL's strength down the middle style demands). He can still clearly play well in all three zones and on the PP. But does he score enough 5 on 5 to be the second line center for the next 7 years the way this team is constructed?
I'm not cherry picking stats here Herby. I'm replying to your post where you said "The Kings clearly need better and more consistent play from Kopitar, Richards and Brown..." I'm pointing out that Richards has been the clubs best forward IMO over the past say 5 games (I'd say since the Columbus game, so however many games since then), so he is now giving that consistency you are saying he needs to give.

I agree that we need more 5-on-5 scoring from him, but as long as he's not costing us goals five-on-five and is providing some level of offense overall, I'm willing to give him more slack. He's on pace for 57 points this season, that's close to a low end first line centre's pace, yet he's sixth in ice time at even strength amongst forwards this season, just nine seconds a game more than Stoll and 32 seconds a game more than Penner and King.

Considering the ice time he's getting, I'm ok with the production.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote