View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 05:08 PM
gmjevtwa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
It's also possible that Hansen could save that much money if he makes it primarily a basketball facility, like in Phoenix, Brooklyn, Indianapolis, etc. By making it a basketball facility, the arena itself will be smaller, thus saving some money from building it. Until final designs are released, we won't know what will happen.
Because of several decisions by the former Seattle SuperSonics ownership (the Ackerleys), and city and state politicians, KeyArena was refurbished in the mid-1990s as a basketball-only venue. In my opinion, the new arena project would defiantly correct past short-sighted decisions.

FYI: from a 2006 article:
Obermeyer, Jeff. “Seattle and the NHL: So Close Yet So Far Away.” NW Hockey Report 4, no. 3 (2006): 8, 20.

Quote:
To me, the biggest obstacle to Seattle is that Hansen hasn't shown that he is willing to let others, namely a perspective NHL owner, be a partner in the arena. The NHL team will have to share in the arena revenue to be successful.
The major factor for the Seattle arena project to proceed would be to purchase an NBA team. It's fair to say that Hansen and his ownership group are concentrating more on purchasing the Sacramento Kings and moving the team to Seattle than on finding an NHL tenant.

Publicly, the only person that has shown interest in starting a NHL team in Seattle is AHL Chicago Wolves owner Don Levin, who was part of a group that wanted to build a new arena in Bellevue, Washington, east of Seattle.

As far as arena revenue for a potential NHL Seattle team, whether it's a relocated (Phoenix?) or expansion team, that's something I'd feel more comfortable discussing in the future, not now.

The waiting is the hardest part...

Last edited by gmjevtwa: 02-19-2013 at 06:37 PM.