View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post

Box lacrosse goalie leg pads. Shots are just as hard if not harder, and they can be coming from any angle, not just from the ice level. Granted the puck is frozen, but there is no way the hockey goalie needs that much more padding.
You seriously want goalies in ice hockey to wear those?
You know what, since it's your bright idea you can be the first to test them against Weber or Chara. Since obviously lacrosse shots are just as hard this shouldn't be a problem. If you want we can always bring in Pulock from the WHL to help you test them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I think this must be akin to the argument defensive backs in the NFL made back in the day.

DBs: Hey, why should we make it easy for the receiver to run his route. We're going the chuck him and bump him all over the field until the ball is in the air.

League Officials: The fans enjoy watching long passes completed, so you won't be touching the receivers anymore after they get 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

See how easy that was. When a position starts to dominate a sport, not necessarily by talent, but by technique (which is all the butterfly is for a goalie, technique) then the rules can be changed to cause players to modify that style and use their talent more than the technique to get the job done.

I enjoyed watching the acrobatic goalies back in the day. I didn't mind seeing the odd well-placed slap shot from outside the faceoff dots find the back of the net either.

I don't really care if the goalies are taking a step backward if the game is more enjoyable for the fans to watch. Right now the amount of net a forward has to shoot at is dramatically lower than it was back in the day. Back then a goalie with a GAA of 3.00 was considered fair. Anything under 3.00 and the goalie was much better than average.
Goalies have made so much progress into perfecting their craft and now we're going to say "sorry you've gotten too good for us"? The goalies are not impeding the shooters chance to shot or preventing them from getting into position shoot. We just do our job and stop the puck. What your asking for is a plethora of Pens/Flyers 2012 playoff series type games. Never been so bored in my life to see so many goals. Rather see a great goaltending duel when both goalies are just making crazy saves then two goalies who are struggling to stop the puck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Make goalie equipment '80s size. If goalies can adjust and stop just as many as before (I'd be surprised if they do), fantastic for them.

At least the standard will be the same. Right now, it's clearly not.
We go back to 80's equipment, you skaters go back to tube skates with wooden sticks and no curves. That way its fair. You take 20 steps backwards and so will we.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote