View Single Post
Old
07-12-2006, 07:33 PM
turnbuckle*

vCash: 500
Here is a decent description of johnson from a HF Yotes fan:

"Johnson is not a rough type player but he doesn't shy away from contact. He'll go in the corners if he has to. He has a pretty good shot but I think the biggest thing Johnson brings to the table is his ability to help other players. It seemed like anytime someone was in a slump here in Phoenix, they'd put them on a line with Johnson and they'd start producing again. He's very much a glue type of player and at the moment I'm thinking the Coyotes were stupid to trade him for a freakin 4th rounder. It's not like he was expensive or anything."

Did Zednik make his linemates better last season?

BTW - I wasn't looking at Johnson replacing Zednik necessarily in the lineup; to me Zed is a top two line player or he's less effective. Not my idea of a checking line winger.

Johnson on the other hand can play on the second or third line rather easily, and can also play center. He averaged about three draws a game for Phoenix this past season. Even more importantly he's a right handed shot, something the Habs have a major lack of at the forward position. He brings much more versatility, and in the past three seasons averaged .70 ppg, or 56 points per 80-game season.

When you add Samsonov to the mix, the Habs are now set with veterans at every position. Not the best news for the rookies, but we did bring up a few last season. There will be four sophomore forwards in the lineup in Pleks, Murray, Higgins and Zhogy.

Gainey said there would be a spot available for a rookie tho....perhaps Perezhogin will be battling Kosty for a spot? Andrei may be kept with the big team and spotted unless he plays better than others. Have Muller, Jarvis and Carbo there to teach him the ropes, practice with the big club and all of the Russian speaking players.

On the other hand BG may feel his top nine is set, and have Andrei and Grabovsky grow together in Hamilton. Perhaps that last spot will be reserved for Chipchura, who is a pretty versatile and defensively reponsible player, or even Lapierre.

I don't see Bob making any other moves. He signs the remaining RFAs quickly and we may even let him take a vacation for a week.
or so.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote