View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Eller has been one of the better players the last 6-7-8 games. Finally getting put on a scoring line and looking good. His play along the boards is exceptional. Some questionable offensive plays here and there, but his defensive game is outstanding and severely underrated. The way he's played the last couple of weeks are why I still believe in his potential.

The way to unlock Eller's potential is to play him with competent scoring wingers. Has nothing to do with Gally. Attributing Eller's play to Galchenyuk is selling Eller short. Eller has played extremely well the last couple of weeks, but was playing with Moen and Armstrong. Eller has always produced playing with quality linemates, he did it with AK, he did with Desharnais this year for a couple of games and he is doing it again now that he's back with wingers/linemates with some actual skill. He should have been on a scoring line a long time ago. He really is a player we should be developing to his full potential. His defensive game is superb and it gives the habs another option outside of Plekanec to matchup against quality opposition.
quoted for truth...

Looking at next year though, I don't see any rational starting the season with Pleks-Eller-Galch-DD all in the lineup, unless one gets moved to the wing.
Pleks/Eller are too valuable defensively to be moved, Galch is the future... that leaves DD. Hard to move b/c his value to us is probably greater than what we'd get in trade, plus the whole francophone issue (making any trade, let alone one with a mediocre return, that much tougher for the GM to defend).

I hope Eller gets finally slotted in, on a permanent basis, as one of our top-3 C's for the forseable future, but I am nervous that the numbers game will end up with him getting moved elsewhere.