View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 11:01 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
My view is that this team is headed in the right direction as well, but how much better will we be with our current stock of players 25 and under? We have a couple nice pieces but lack true high end talent when looking at the prospect pool. Its at least not very deep. IF the opportunity presents itself to rob Peter who is your present, to pay Paul who is your future, I say you bank on Paul and build him up as much as you can. Soon Peter may not have anything left in his pockets and youll wish you robbed him when his pockets were full. And so on.
Sorry man, I'm not buying this. I understand where you're coming from with just looking at every option but piqued is right, there is no surplus in talent anywhere on this team to make a trade of the kind you're proposing; it's almost definitely a lateral move.

This season has seen the Stars bring along a number of young players. Don't pry into your core to make a trade at this point, wait until you know more about your young players. Aside from Dillon and Eakin (and probably Oleksiak) we don't know what we've got, or just how special any of them can be. The point is, theoretically I'm open to trading a loved player for the right price BUT the timing has to be right. The timing here just isn't right.

The Texas Rangers model pre-playoff days was a beauty and something the Stars should follow. When they were developing their young players in the minors and giving them time in the majors they were constantly signing a few veterans in the offseason whom they were more than 50% sure would return a usable asset via trade midseason. Some of those players turned into prospects who turned into players or were shipped off elsewhere to bring in other guys who played/are playing for them. That model takes one important thing that the Stars haven't demonstrated a penchant for - giving precedence to long term success by giving up on the short term to make it happen.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote