View Single Post
Old
02-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Alright boys, what is the scouting report on MDZ?
I gave my impression on him in the trade thread in regards to a Liles comparison, based on my limited viewings, and research into him. Boom Boom Geoffrion (a Rangers fan) seemed to think it was pretty accurate.

Basically he's a very good outlet passer, and uses this much more than purely rushing the puck like Liles, or even Barrie. He's got a bit of a physical and nasty edge to his game as well, and while he isn't a defensive dynamo, he is decent in this area, and doesn't have quite as much trouble with bigger forwards as a guy like Liles does.

He also has a very hard and quickly timed slapper, to go along with what appears to be a very quick and accurate wrister that he utilizes well. He jumps into the play well, and from what I've seen has very good stick handling and finishing moves like a forward in close. I would hazard a guess that he'd have the hardest slapper we've seen since Blake (though not at his level) the best wrister we've seen in a long time (with the exception of our brief experience with Elliott) and the best defenseman at jumping into the play since early Liles at his best.

When you add the physical and outlet passing elements to his game, maybe he could be a similar version of what the team hoped for in Morris when they acquired him. Except better at stick handling and finishing plays when in all alone. It's not clear what his top end offensive production will be, but he's put up 37, and 41 points in each of the last two seasons.

Not quite an elite offensive defenseman at this point, but still with plenty of promise at 22, and has grown his game a lot already. I think he could make a great partner with EJ, and take some of the pressure of him to carry the puck and jump start the rush.

You can see some of his goals here in the NHL.com link, and the YouTube montage shows some of the edge to his game as well.

http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videoce...474584&lang=en

Last edited by Foppa2118: 02-19-2013 at 11:18 PM.