View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 12:36 AM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Seth Jones IMO.

We have young centers, and Jones is a stud already. Though you really can't go wrong with any of the top centers in this year's draft.
We have young centers, but none of them are as good as MacKinnon.

Besides having elite skill and having what I feel is the best upside in this draft, he fills other needs this team has.
He has speed to burn (something this team has none of) and is a right shot, which increases value.
He's a combination of Taylor Hall (some recklessness, not as much though) and Tyler Seguin (pivot with blazing speed, although Nathan is probably faster and he's more willing to play in traffic).
He's also a possession player and helps tremendously in transition (if people start to track zone entrances/exits, he'll be right up there at the top of the league, he's just fantastic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Barkov is exclusively a winger, right?
No, he's a C and has all the tools to play down the middle in the NHL.
He'll be even better as he continues to improve his skating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foligno and Barnes View Post
Who are some players you guys like that would be available in the late first round? I have a feeling Darcy will end up acquiring a 1st from a cup contender at the deadline if we are out of it by then.
Probably too early to say for sure at this point, but some names:
W/C Bo Horvat (London, OHL) - Will do anything asked of him. Hard worker with untapped upside because of his hockey IQ.
C Frédérik Gauthier (Rimouski, QMJHL) - Don't know how late he'll be available, but I love this kid. Not as offensively gifted as Couturier, but his skating for his size..
D Ian McCoshen (Waterloo, USHL) - I think this kid has the potential to be the best American D in this draft when all is said and done (yes, even including The Anointed One). He does everything so well and is going to log big minutes one day. Sometimes there's shades of that kid who got traded for Scott Gomez once.
Any of the goaltenders - I think two of the top tier ones (Comrie, Fucale, Jarry, Martin, McAdam) will end up going in the first round (Fucale and the other is a toss up). All of them are pretty appealing, so might as well snatch one up.

It's hard for me to put together a bigger list though, as I've somewhat ignored the OHL and WHL this year.
I've been keeping up on my sleeper picks, though.