View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
This is what free agency is for. Trade existing players for picks, etc. and sign veteran talent to lead the prospects. That's why the Wings signed players like Brad Park while drafting guys like Yzerman.
Tough to attract quality free agents when you're a bottom feeder with not much going for it. See Edmonton as an example. I mean sure, you can get some 4th line leadership guys, but that's not what I was referring to when I mentioned veteran talent. A team needs player like Tanguay or even Cammalleri to insulate the prospects as they come up - instead of throwing them straight to wolves, let them ease into it while the veterans take some of the harder match ups, at least initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Cammy is a very good leader and has the best shot on the team, I think he would be a perfect guy to keep as it would take pressure of that second line and would make the team more dangerous. I too would be surprised if Irving is here next year but that was my dream world Flames. If we are talking reality then we do nothing draft some where around 10 and try again next season.

Unless we got an offer like 1st + a good prospect I think I hang on to Cammy.
I think Cammalleri's leadership qualities are way overstated and his shot is only good when he feels like using it. Plus, both Tanguay and Cammalleri aren't the most durable of players, but Cammalleri especially has struggled with injuries the last few years.

But the team could stagger the trade process too. Trade Iginla and Kipper this season/off season for picks and prospects. Then in the following season, trade Cammalleri and one of Giordano or Bouwmeester, depending on whether or not Bouwmeester is willing to re-sign or waive his NTC.