View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
It's going to take A LOT more than Tallinder to get Stastny.
I don't know how much Tallinder's game has regressed since leaving Buffalo, but I don't think that's necessarily true. It all depends on what the Avs get back in the O'Reilly deal, and at the draft.

I made this same point somewhere else here, but if they somehow pry a Couurier out of Philly, or draft Mackinnon, I think they'll look to dump Stastny to whomever they can get a serviceable player or decent prospect/draft pick out of. Just to shed his $6.6M salary alone as they likely wouldn't have plans at trying to retain him at a top two center price.

I think this whole O"Reilly thing, and Stastny's mediocre start has probably put the Avs in motion towards building a traditional top six and bottom six kind of group, rather than the three center approach they had before.

It was a nice idea, but I'm really starting to believe it waters down everyone's abilities too much. A guy like Duchene can't thrive without the right linemates and ice time, and a guy like O'Reilly can't warrant the kind of big contract he wants or produce enough offensively playing behind two centers either. O'Reilly got too good offensively for it to work. Somehow they'd have a better team if he was just that defensive 30+ point guy on a reasonable contract.