Old
02-20-2013, 01:42 AM
XX
Lots of Try

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
So what?

Nothing wrong with a goalie playing the percentages by being in position, but if he is just going to flop down into the butterfly and let the puck hit him I would like the percentage to be a good deal less than the approximately 95% it is today.
Technique has evolved to play the percentages. Being in the butterfly simply represents the most likely scenario to make a save in many situations. It's only effective because goalies have gotten larger, physically speaking. Teams have also adopted their defense to this style, letting teams shoot from outside all day while protecting the slot. This limits scoring chances greatly. It has little to do with equipment size.

Quote:
I've seen some fans go so far as to argue that the main difference between the 1980s scoring environment and the scoring environment today is that goalies wear much larger equipment.

I think those claims are completely unfounded. The reasons for the rapid improvement in goalie numbers over the last two decades have been improved goalie technique and better defensive play. Goalie equipment size has been a minor factor.

The main proof for this is the way that the goalie crop turned over in the late '80s and early '90s. The old guys were phased out of the game, a new wave took over, and there was a rapid increase in the league-average save percentage. All of this happened before goalies started increasing the size of their equipment.
http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com/...t-was-not.html

XX is online now   Reply With Quote