View Single Post
02-20-2013, 01:54 AM
Up the Irons
vCash: 408
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
In determining Jagr's placement on an "all-time" list, I find the following players are the most relevant ones to sort out:

1. Guy Lafleur: Before tackling Jagr vs. Richard, Beliveau, or Hull, it's imperative to determine which of these two (clearly the two greatest wingers of the post-expansion era) ranks highest.

2. Nicklas Lidstrom: One of Jagr's closest contemporaries in terms of time period and also rough placement on all-time lists. Arguable easier to compare with Jagr (both being position players) than Hasek if one is concerned with determining the "best European ever" title.

3. Mark Messier: The other top contender for "best forward outside of 99/66 in the Gretzky era onwards". Different style of game than Jagr but determining which of these two you rank higher will give you some idea of what attributes you consider more important.

If one is inclined to rank Jagr ahead of these three, then that probably lands him squarely in the Top 15 and then the tougher comparisons to his contemporaries start: Ray Bourque, Patrick Roy, Dominik Hasek.
very well said. I pretty much agree, especially with the players your mention as notable comparisons to Jagr.

after the top 5 (99, 4, 9, 66, 9), the next group (Belivieau, Hull, Espo, Lafleur, Messier, Sawchuck, Harvey, Morenz, Lidstrom, and more) it gets muddy. that group probably includes about 15-20 guys, all of whom were generational talents, hugely important careers.

I do think Jagr is in the top 10. Not ready to compare to Richard, no chance. Beliveau? i don't no. probably no, again.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote