View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 02:18 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
So in that (rough scenario), you can see that we are staging guys in over time, and as they become ready.

SNIP

...we're staging things, certainly not rushing anyone into our line-up, and should be putting our players and team in a reasonable position to succeed, without the downside (which only comes from rusing your players, and I don't see that in my scenario).
Not really. Not at all. Preposterous .
You are counting on them being ready and arguing that we should trade the established players in expectation that they will be ready.

Ie. this is your opening night 2014-2015 defense.

Despres Letang
Morrow Bortuzzo
Harrington/Dumoulin Engelland

... or some combination thereof.

Other than Letang and Engelland, the most NHL experienced D-man there would be Simon Despres, who will have just turned 23 by that time and will have - if he plays every game from now on - less than two full NHL seasons behind him. Remember that when we won the cup, Letang was 22 and was our 6th D-man in the playoffs.

It is just not going to go down like that. Despite the salivating worthy dreams we can have about the top6 with that much cap-room freed up, I trust that you can see this to be a mirage also. I could maybe understand it with Martin or Brooks still there. But I'd likely still be uncomfortable.

From an asset management point of view I do understand dealing Martin and Orpik at a high, but if we do we that we absolutely need to bring in other NHL-playoff proven defenders instead.